Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Mely Cooks Monday - Quiche





I love Quiche, I especially love the gourmet ones that cost $16 at Oliver's, but yesterday I had this wild idea to make a Quiche because I had some eggs in my fridge that needed some loving. So I googled Quiche recipes and I made up with this easy recipe. Unsurprisingly, my lover had never eaten Quiche before so further expanding on my efforts to widen his culinary horizons I knew I HAD to bake a Quiche. Here it is...

 
 
What you will need:
2 Frozen Pie Crusts in a tin, thawed according to direction
5 Extra Large Eggs
8 OZ Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 Cup Heavy Cream (1 cup = 1 little box)
7-8 Bacon Slices
1 Large Potato
1/2 White Onion
Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper to taste
 
Preheat your oven to 375.

Dice your potatoes and onion into small cubes.
 
Heat up a non-stick skillet and slice your bacon into 1 inch squares. Once the skillet is hot, add your bacon. Cook bacon until it is chewy but NOT crispy.

Remove bacon from the skillet and allow to cool and drain on a paper towel.

Remove the pan from the stove and drain most of the bacon fat from the skillet, reserve about 4 TBSP to cook your potatoes and onions. First add your potatoes and some salt to taste to the pan, cook your potatoes until they start to get soft (about 5 minutes) and then add your onions and allow your potatoes to brown and your onions to caramelize (about another 5-7 minutes). If you find your potatoes are sticking, drizzle with some Olive oil. Once completed, allow mixture to cool.
 
In a large bowl whisk eggs and heavy cream with ground pepper until creamy. Then add your cheese, bacon pieces and your by now cooled onion/potato mixture. Mix well and pour into your pie crust.




Pour your mixture into your pie crusts evenly distributing it between both. Loosely cover both Quiches with foil and bake on top rack for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove the foil and allow the Quiches to finish browning for another 15-20 minutes.

Remove your Quiches from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before digging in.

I must admit, I was really impressed with myself being that this was my first time making Quiche. There's just a couple things I would do differently next time:

~I would use Jalapenos for a kick
~Red Bell Pepper/Spinach for a pop of color
~Play around with the cheeses and meat (Tony requested Sausage next time)
~Add some Garlic for a little flare
~Make my own pie crust and make one deep dish Quiche as opposed to two regular sized Quiches

I encourage you to try this recipe out and play around with the ingredients to make it your own!
~Mely

No comments:

Post a Comment