Thursday, December 6, 2012

5 days before surgery

Hi all!

So tonite is Thursday night and my surgery is next Wednesday bright and early. This means that my surgery is only 5 days away!

Yesterday I went to see my surgeon for my pre-op appointment. My total weight loss when I weighed in at my surgeon's office was 21 lbs. Which takes me to the next comment. I know I should probably be doing the whole "starting weight", "current weight", and total weight loss tracker thing. However, I still don't feel comfortable posting my weight for everyone to see online. I will be posting my total weight loss week by week though! Back to my surgeon's appointment, I want to take a moment to really describe how amazing Dr. Woodbury is. When I saw him a year ago for my gallbladder I NEVER thought that he would also be performing the surgery that is going to positively impact my life in so many ways. His demeanor, compassion, and expertise are so very admirable!

Anyways, Dr. Woodbury and I talked about what's going to happen the day of surgery and how long the surgery will take. That appointment didn't take long and I was back on my merry way to work. 

Now that was yesterday, today I saw Nurse Kate for my final appointment. She and I talked about all the things that are going to happen before surgery and after surgery. It was an appointment jam packed with useful information. I signed my consent forms and Nurse Kate described my surgery date. The day before I have to be on clear liquids and then I will show up at Sutter at 5:30 AM and I will prepped for the surgery that will happen at 7:30. I will be put on blood thinners and rolled into surgery at 7:30 AM. I will be in my recovery room by 10:30 appprox. I was also informed I will be using a catheter which effectively scared the crap out of me. After surgery the main concern is blood clots, this is why there is so much emphasis on getting up and moving after surgery. I will also have a pain button that I can press when I need morphine. (self medicating morphine = wooo hooo!) In all seriousness though, what I am most worried about is the Co2 pains. Those really suck, I know this because after I had my gallbladder removed I had to deal with the Co2 pains. Anyways, I will be in the hospital until Friday. 

The only thing that really concerns me at this point is that there was a misunderstanding on my part and really I should have been on 1000 calories a day beginning a week ago! Oy vey! Nurse Kate assured me that if I am really strict and exercise my little heart out for this very last home stretch I will be okay! So I went to Trader Joe's today and got me some greek yogurts and a nice TJ's salad for tomorrow. I need to really really stick to this 1000 calories a day. This means no sugar, carbs or added fat!

 My lovely coworker who had the Gastric Bypass keeps telling me "pictures, pictures, pictures! So I will take a picture the day of the surgery holding up my lovely little "day of surgery" sign. 

Okay! For now, I have this pic that I took at my surgeon's office yesterday. I want to make sure I journalize what I look like as much as I can because this blog is really ultimately for me. I want to go back a year from now and see the pics post by post and see how much I've changed! I will be posting the night before surgery! 




1 comment: