Friday, December 14, 2012

Home from the hospital...

Home has never felt so good before!

Greetings from this side of the sleeve! I am so happy to be finally home and in my own bed in my own clothes, out of a very unflattering hospital gown! Today is Friday and my surgery was Wednesday morning.

First is first, my surgery went great! There were no problems with the anesthesia or recovering. I don't think I could have asked for a better surgeon or team of medical professionals to take care of me during my stay at Sutter.

When I was taken to anesthesia I was so surprised not to feel nervous or scared. I was so incredibly at peace and that really stood out to me. I couldn't believe how ready and receptive I was to this surgery. I was even calm enough to make a conversation with my anesthesiology about this article that I read that said that anesthesiologists are one of the highest paid medical professions. I told him he must be rolling in the dough! I remember feeling a dose of what must have been morphine in my IV that immediately relaxed me and the next thing I remember was waking up in recovery telling the nurse that I was really sleepy and asking her if I could go to sleep. I dozed off.

When I woke up I was being rolled out of the recovery room and I remember seeing my sister in law, best friend, mom and dad waiting for me to be rolled to my room.

By the time I got into my room it was about midday. I am very scatter minded and I don't have the ability to properly narrate my hospital experience in a way that will keep you engaged so I decided to do bullet points on my experiences instead:


  • Pain: Even at my worst, my pain was only about a 5 or a 6. I was surprised I didn't have much Co2 pain but I guess some surgeries are different than others. Most of my pain would have to come from putting strain on my stomach since my stomach is trying to heal from the staples. I had a pain button that connected to Dilaudid, which is supposed to be stronger than morphine. Whatever it was, it was good and it made me real sleepy. Needless to say I slept most of the remaining day after surgery. Every time somebody showed up to my room I was always half asleep.
  • Walking: The first day of surgery was really hard for me to get any walking in. Even though I was sleeping most of the day, I did go visit my cousin who had just delivered her baby upstairs in labor and delivery. The initial visit was really difficult and I had to come back to my room because I felt like I was going to throw up. Today was much easier for me to walk though and so was yesterday. 
  • Food (or lack thereof) : I was on clear liquids for the entirety of the time I was at the hospital. It was hard, and will continue to be hard. The thought of hospital beef broth totally grosses me out and it's going to take some of my mom's mighty good "caldo the pollo" broth to make me change my mind. Drinking water was very unpleasant. I had to take really really small sips to avoid the cramping sensation I would get in my abdomen. I made it though, I drank enough water so I could avoid being dehydrated and could come home.
  • Support: My support system was really amazing. I felt really loved and taken care of in the hospital. I have really pretty flowers to prove it! I also got a flower delivery delivered to me from a nurse. She said the delivery was from "somebody in my support group" I knew people in my support group but I couldn't pin point who exactly it was. Then as soon as I started reading the card I remembered this lovely lady that was set to have her surgery on Monday. She said "she wanted to wish me the very best with my new journey and that I always radiate such a beautiful glow" I was really touched by such a kind gesture! I look forward to seeing this lovely lady again in support group to thank her and give her a big hug!
I am upset that I haven't lost weight but according to my nurse this is normal since I am filled up on liquids and drugs. I hope to start losing weight once I have settled into being at home and comfortable on my liquid diet.

I also had my nurse add another "goal" to my dry erase board ;)



Until next time!

Melissa







No comments:

Post a Comment