Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Mely Cooks Monday 7/14/14

I'm starting a new series that actually originated months ago called "Mely Cooks Monday." Like the true dork that I am I started posting on Facebook about it and figured that since I have revamped my blog and am posting more than I should make this a series! Today is my first post and I begin with:
 
Lemon Shrimp Scampi with Cheese Ravioli
 
I was looking at some recipes online and found this recipe on All Recipes that of course I modified and switched up to my liking. I have a particular style of cooking.. Here are the recipes I use:
  1. Recipes I come up with in my head that I brainstorm and think they will be a good idea
  2. I find recipes online that look good and I switch them up to my liking to make my own recipe
  3. Classic Mexican dishes I learned from my Momma
  4. Recipes I follow by the word because I have a guarantee that they will turn out excellent (usually these recipes are courtesy of my brother who is very adventurous and tries out lots of recipes)
Last night I did the #2 concept. This is a very rich dish. I don't think I will make it soon again because I think I have overdone Pasta dishes lately and we are trying to lose those LBs and Pasta is not helping. If I could redo this dish I would use Angel Hair Pasta for a lighter take. I suggest you do the same because the cheese ravioli was very rich and too much going on.  Here it is:
 
Recipe easily feeds 3-4.
 
1 LB uncooked, deveined prawns
1/4 C Lemon Juice
1/4 C Olive Oil
1 large Garlic Clove finely diced
2 TBSP Fresh or Freeze Dried Parsley ***(More on this below)
2 TBSP Butter
1/4 C. Grated Parmesan Cheese
12 OZ Refrigerated Ravioli (I used Rana's Ravioli Cheese "Forte" OR a 16 OZ box Angel Hair Pasta)
Crushed Red Pepper to your liking (optional)
Salt and Pepper to your liking
 
Cook your pasta according to directions on box. Drain.
Heat up a large non-stick pan to medium-high heat and throw your butter on there
Add Lemon Juice, Olive Oil, Garlic and Parsley.
Stir and bring to a low simmer for about 5 to 7 minutes. Let those juices and flavors merge and enjoy the aroma.
Add shrimp and cook your shrimpies until pink or about 5 minutes. Don't overcook.
Now add your pasta and toss with salt, pepper and your cheese. Add a TBSP more of butter to toss easier or a drizzle of olive oil.
 
I like to keep everything on the pan and keep it on low for a few minutes.
 
Serve and Done!

 
 


 
***About the Parsley. While I was at Safeway with my coworker yesterday, I openly complained about buying a bunch of parsley when I would only use a bit and the rest would go to waste before I could make another recipe with parsley. Another patron jumped in and suggested I buy this freeze dried parsley that when mixed with water is just as good as fresh parsley. I dropped everything and put that sucker in my cart and let me tell you, it's the best thing ever because it's the quality of fresh parsley whenever I want without buying a bunch of parsley everytime.



No comments:

Post a Comment