Monday, July 14, 2014

Summer Time

Wanted to do a post on all the fun I've been having this summer. This is our first summer as newlyweds and it's been anything but boring. Since we haven't lived together prior to marriage we have been adjusting to life and learning a little more about each other. What I do know, I was made for marriage. I love the stuff. I love having somebody to cook for who will eat virtually anything I make him. (Bless his heart, he is the most non picky man I've ever met). I love going on adventures yet still being able to relax at home and do whatever. It's the little things in life. I advise... I am awful about taking pictures and my husband isn't too fond of selfies so you will rarely see selfies of him and I but I try! But seriously, I am trying to take more pictures of our adventures. I don't have a fancy camera... all my pictures are taken with my dinasour iPhone 4s. Here is the randomness...

1. Netflix (what we are watching)
 
Orange is the New Black
 
Warning: There is nudity and there is lesbian and straight sex scenes but the show is ridiculously good. If you can get past the nudity and sex and see why this show is awesome, please watch it. Now. The show has a rich diversity of women and it is based on a suburban, privileged white woman that is serving time in jail for drug related charges. If this show has kept me hooked (if you know me personally, you know that I have the attention span of a toddler) then I guarantee it is good stuff. I am the one that mostly watches this show as Tony feels like "it's a girl show."
 
Wicked Attractions (and basically any show on Investigation Discovery)
 
 
 
We love this show because we love any show documents true life cases. Although at times, it is a bit depressing because you watch about rapes and murders we love this show in small doses.
 
It's a Girl
  
 
Such an intense and powerful documentary about the gendercide occuring in India and China. Eye-opening... a must watch if you get the chance.
 
The Queen of Versailles
 
 
Just gaudy and entertaining to watch. A classic example that not everyone with money has good style and class.

There's many more other shows and good documentaries we have been watching but those will have to wait for another post ;)
 
 
2. Tijuana and SoCal (A visit across the border to the motherland)
Tony and I went with his family (about 16 of us total) to Tijuana to visit his Aunt, Uncle and cousin that live down there. I jokingly say it's the motherland but Tony and I were born in good old Santa Rosa, CA. Both our sets of parents are from the state of Michoacan, Mexico. Personally, my claim to fame is my Mom and Dad are from Cotija were the smelly cheese is from. Mmmhmm me gusta mucho el Queso Cotija! Tijuana is about 10 hours down south in car of where we are in California. Let me tell you, I was one grumpy girl the second half of our way there and the whole time in Tijuana. When I am in a bad mood, I'm in a bad mood. Tony has me figured out pretty well by now! We left Thursday night and I was running on no sleep, was cold, hungry and had heartburn by the time we got there. My body also yearned for a Starbucks, the struggle is real you guys.
 
We spent Friday in Tijuna to come back Friday night from Tijuana and arrive at Tony's cousin's house in Indio close to Coachella in Southern California at about 2AM Saturday. We went straight to sleep and the next morning after a good night's sleep and a shower, I was as good as new. I love love love going to Tony's cousin's house in Indio. The weather is hot and Tony's cousin and her husband are such cool people, it's great to just hang out and sit by the pool. Tony went to the store to pick up some stuff with his cousin's husband Cruz and he came back with this.

 
This is the thing about my husband, he knows so well what makes me happy. He even knows how much cream to put in my coffee to make it the perfect shade of brown. I am convinced I could not have married a better man. Heck, I even got the man started on iced coffees from Starbucks. I love my Tony :)
 
We spent the rest of the weekend hanging out and BBQing at the house and I went to the Swap Meet with Tony's aunts and his parents. We came home Sunday around noon and minus the no AC in Tony's car and the sticky/sweaty, hot central valley we had to pass through, the trip back went well.
 
3. Armstrong Woods
Tony and I have visited Armstrong Woods twice this summer. The giant Redwood  trees are absolutely majestic and the trails are really nice. This is definitely a favorite of mine for hiking. If you are ever in Northern California you need to come to Armstrong Woods in Guerneville. Just a couple of neat things to see (courtesy of http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=450)
 
FEATURES OF THE GROVE:
The Tallest Tree
The Parson Jones Tree is the tallest tree in the grove, measuring more than 310 feet in height. This is longer than the length of a football field. An easy 0.1 mile walk from the park entrance.

The Oldest Tree
The Colonel Armstrong Tree is the oldest tree in the grove, estimated to be over 1,400 years old. It is named after a lumberman who chose to preserve this portion of the park in the 1870s. This magnificent tree is located a half-mile walk from the park entrance.

The Icicle Tree
This tree shows the unusual burl formations often found on redwood trees. Burls can weigh many tons and grow hundreds of feet above the forest floor. Why these growths occur remains a mystery.
 
Here are some pics from our hiking adventures!
 



 
  
4. Yosemite (Round 2!)
We are heading to Yosemite the beginning of August! Last time we went to Yosemite, he had only been dating for a month and went with 4 friends. This time around we are married and we are coming with our family! I am especially excited to take my Momma and my sister this time around. And Tony's family knows how to CAMP! They cook good food and always have a great time. Super excited! Stay tuned for pics of Yosemite Round 2.
 
 
5. Fair Time (Sonoma County REPRESENTIN'!)
This year the theme at the Sonoma County Fair is "Peace, Love and Fair." I already bought our tickets presale and I can't wait to go later this month! Stay tuned for pics of the Fair later this month.
 

That is all for know. Thanks for stopping by, I hope you stick around :)
~Mely H

No comments:

Post a Comment