Thursday, July 24, 2014

Mely Cooks Monday Late Edition: Cheesy Baked Ziti

Cheesy Baked Ziti
 
I came across this recipe online. Of course, I tweaked it because God forbid I ever follow a recipe word for word. I am really over pasta at this point, lately I crave vegetables, beans and lean protein. Which is essentially my body telling me "You've been eating too much crap and it's time to cut it out" Nevertheless, I had the ingredients for it and I needed to use them so I made this dish knowing I would probably not eat any. It turned out good and very cheesy. If you like rich pasta cheesiness then I recommend you try this dish. Tony said it came out delicious. What I love about this dish is that it doesn't dry out in the oven, therefore it's great for storing and reheating.
 
1 Box (16 OZ) Ziti
1 container (15 OZ) Ricotta
1 ball of Mozzerella (16 OZ)
1 C Grated Parmesan or Romano Cheese + a little bit to top off for baking
1 24 OZ Jar of Marinara
1 LB Ground Beef (use 90/10 or 85/15 highest fat ratio)
5 TBSP of Fresh Chopped or Freeze Dried Parsley
1 egg yolk
Olive Oil
 
Cook your pasta according to directions, drain and set aside.
 
 
Confession: I accidentally bought Rigatoni instead of Ziti. Close enough.
Now preheat your oven to 425 Degrees
 
 
Cube your Mozzerella

 
Now in a large bowl mix your mozzerella, 4TBSP of your Parsley, egg yolk, Ricotta and Parmesan or Romano.
 
 
Mix that cheesy goodness together and then mix in your drained pasta.


Brown your beef with some Garlic salt
 
 
 
Now add your Marinara. I used this stuff but I have my heart set on trying Rao's Pasta sauces. I hear their pricey but worth the cost.
 
 
 
Let flavors cook and merge together for 5 minutes.
 


Okay this will require a large baking dish. It's a big meal! Drizzle your large pan with Olive Oil and empty your cheese and pasta mixture on the bottom and pour your sauce mixture on top. Mix everything in the baking dish until there isn't any white spots left. Your pasta will look pink:

 
 
Top with some Parmesan Cheese or Romano and remaining Parsley
 

 
 
Bake for 20-25 minutes until cheese is bubbly
 

 

Serve immediately.
 
Cheesy, rich and tasty!
 
~Mely
 

No comments:

Post a Comment