Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Moist Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

 

 
 
For the Carrot Cake:
1 Cup Sugar
3/4 Cup Oil
1/4 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt (I use Fage)
3 Large Eggs
2 Teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
2 Cups Flour (I use Soft Silk Cake Flour but honestly I don't even know if that makes a difference)
1 TSP Baking Soda
2 TSP Ground Cinnamon
1/4 TSP Ground Nutmeg
1/2 TSP Salt
2 Cups of Finely Grated Carrots

For the Frosting:
8 OZ Softened Cream Cheese
1 Stick Softened Butter (Salted)
2 TSP Pure Vanilla Extract
2 - 2.5 Cups of Powdered Sugar

Preheat your oven to 350.

In a large bowl beat (using a stand or handheld mixer) sugar and oil, then add yogurt until creamy. One at a time add the eggs and beat until well mixed. Then mix in the Vanilla Extract. Set aside your wet ingredients.

In another bowl combine your dry ingredients; Flour, Baking Soda, Cinnamon, Nutmeg and Salt.

With a spatula, manually mix your dry ingredients into your wet ingredients just until you can't see any more flour pockets then fold in your carrots.

Bake your cake 30-35 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

While your cake bakes, make your Frosting. I used my Ninja Food Processor with the mixer attachment but you can use a stand mixer or a handheld mixer (I just live in the dark ages and don't have a stand mixer). Simply combine all ingredients and mix until mixture is creamy. Start with 2 cups of powdered sugar and add a little more depending on how sweet you want your frosting, I ended up using 2 1/4 Cups.






Now this step is very important, DON'T be like me and frost the cake before it has cooled. I didn't have the patience to wait and wanted to retreat to bed that I went right for it! This is what I ended up with when I tried to frost my cake while it was still warm:
 

 
Carrot Cake: Melty Edition
 
Evidently patience is not my greatest virtue :) still tasted great though!
 
Happy Thanksgiving Eve!
~Mely



No comments:

Post a Comment