Monday, August 18, 2014

Weekend Story - All about that soccer

Friday
Friday night we went to one of Tony's aunts house. This particular aunt is my favorite one and she is my Momma's bestie. Her birthday was the Saturday we were in Yosemite and we were having a nice little something something at her house to celebrate her birthday. There was cake, I like cake.
 
Saturday
Saturday we were up very early to head to my Momma's house (4 AM early). My sister had a soccer tournament in Palo Alto (this is where the famous Stanford University is located) and we were off by 5AM. We spent most of the day in Palo Alto watching my sister's team play. She played Goalie for most of both games and although she doesn't regularly play Goalie, she did really well. I was super proud of her because she's come a long way. Today I also had this crazy thought that she's 11 now and I want her to stay that way forever and will be really sad to see her grow up. Can't she just stay 11? It's a great age, she's old enough to be independent but she's not in that awkward preteen phase or the angry teenager phase.

 

After we arrived at my Momma's house we napped for a bit before coming home and going to Sushi. I posted all about the deliciousness of our Sushi dining experience at Sushi Hana on my Yelp page. I'm an "Elite" member which officially means I'm a huge nerd  kind of a big deal.
 

 
So good, we will be back again next Saturday.

Sunday
Sunday Tony had to head off to work early in the morning and afterwards he helped his sister move into her dorm room. I left to my Momma's house early at around 8 to go to Karina's second day of her soccer tournament. We ended up going with my Dad and my cousin Luis who is staying here from Mexico since he's American born and wants to live that good 'ole life in the USA! Anyways, the second set of games were to be played in Redwood City which is adjacent to Palo Alto. When the girls played their first game they won 1-0 even though they were tired and passing poorly.
 
After that game we had a few hours to kill before the next game and my Dad treated us to In-N-Out and we went to Old Navy for some cute finds. I found a tank for $5 and some coral shorts for $2.50. My Momma got them for me, we are still working out the "I'm a married woman now, you need to stop paying for everything because you are a single mom and I feel bad" problem.
 
 
Snapchat: Chemita is my Dad's nickname. If you don't have In-N-Out where you live, I pity you.
 
Even though Kari's team won 2 games and tied 1, her team didn't make it to the final and had to play the consolation game for 3rd place. Things got a little heated and I was really cheering for her loudly during that game. When she saved a goal after it hit the goal post I screamed "Good job goalie, that's my baby sister!!!" and then a parent on the other team shouted "Good job goal post!".
 
Picture my blood pressure rising as in a split second I say in my mind "Wait a minute. What. Did. He. Just. Say?" Then I may or may not have turned to him and called him an asshole. Listen, I scream loudly when I cheer for my baby sister. I never say anything mean about the other team and this is COMPETETIVE soccer. Parents need to realize that if they can't take the passionate rooting for other kids then they need to put their children in RECREATIONAL soccer or something like Girl Scouts. I've been on both sides, I've had to suck it up when other parents have cheered hard for the opposing team and my sister's team is not doing well or my sister's team is in the rythym and I am applauding them and telling them how awesome they are doing. This is part of the game!
 
Anyways, even though Espanol (Kari's team) was playing with no substitutes and they were losing the ball a lot they still managed to stop goals with their defense and a few great saves and quick thinking by Kari. They also never gave up and hung in there. Then in the last 5 minutes of the game, one of the girls who had been trying to break through the opposing team's defense several times finally broke through ONCE and it was just her and the goalie and she did it! She scored! It was Espanol 1-0! After the game was over, that guy said to me "your team played like crap they deserved to lose" HAHAHAHA, Scoreboard dude. Scoreboard.
 

 
This kid did good. So proud of her and how far she has come. Side note: her perfectly tan skin, thick sun kissed hair and long beautiful eye lashes make me sick.
 

 
Kari was the first called up for her medal.
 

 
Great job Espanol! That's Kari posing in the front. Work it.
 
After the game we went home (Mom's house) and I didn't reunite with the Melymobile until about 8:30 at which time I picked up Tony and I a Quesadilla and Nachos from our favorite Mexican place. I arrived home and of course I pounced on Tony, gave him kisses and told him how much I missed him even though it had been less than 24 hours since I had seen him. Don't judge, I've never gone more than 3 days without seeing him so I miss him a lot when I don't see his purty face and those big arms. (Include hand motions of me fanning myself in here). I ate and as soon as my food went down my body went into full on shut down mode. Tony went to take a shower and I passed out and don't even remember when he came back into bed.
 
Stay tuned, tonite I am making Cheesy Baked Chicken Enchiladas on tonite's edition of Mely Cooks Monday.
 
~Mely

No comments:

Post a Comment